1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken run roofing material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by twfernandez, Apr 15, 2015.

1. twfernandez

twfernandez Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2015
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Hello guys!

I've been looking at different types of roofing for our chicken-run, and I was leaning toward this product;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-2...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100096441-_-N

But the product reviews aren't very good - just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product, and if not, what have you had success with as far as roofing materials for your coops?
    I guess our next thought if the poly roof is no good would be galvanized tin roof ... [​IMG]
    For the hen-house, I'll be laying plywood under the roofing material, but the run will not have plywood, and the roof will just be screwed to rafters/purlins - the roofing material above(or an alternative if we go with something else) will then go across the entire build(hen-house and run)
    Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks,
    T&S

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have it on my run and so far so good, the only thing I can say is when I have to clean the snow off it is i wish it was a little more ridged, if I were to do it again i would use metal it was almost the same price and i think I could get up on the roof to push it off easier.

1 person likes this.
  3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    That's the stuff I was considering using on my run as well. Although I may go with the opaque white since it's $10 less per piece. All depends on what the wife likes better looks wise though. It's strong enough for moderate snow loads if installed properly.

1 person likes this.
  4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I have used the clear panels before in places just to use as a skylight in a shed I was building. Worked out well.

I've always attached metal roofing panels just to the perlins. Well on a coop or shed anyway. Use strong enough perlinspaced right and there's really no need to spend the extra money on the sheeting. If you do use sheeting IE: plywood or osb etc, be sure to put felt on top of it before you put the metal down. As it expands and contracts with temperature changes, it will rub the paint off the bottom and cause it to rust from the inside out. Also, metal roofs do get condensation, and the sheet decking you put on first will absorb that and rot out if you don't cover it first [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. twfernandez

Mar 24, 2015
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@PapaChaz , I'm using 2x4, flat, for the perlins, spaced at 24" - I don't plan on using any sheeting over the run itself, only over the hen-house(will definately line with felt/tar-paper over the OSB)
    The clear poly roofing is a little less expensive than the tinted one I posted a link to, but I priced out several different options (clear poly, gray poly, galvanized steel and metal sheet roofing) and they somehow all come in around $350 .. The roof is 13' wide by 28' long, so the 12' panels will still require some doubling up, or 8' panels and some cutting. It's either more expensive per sheet with fewer sheets, or less expensive, but double sheets - so I figure since the pricing is approximately equal, I'm really shopping for quality and appearance at this point. :)
    <unrelated side note>
    The right shift-key on my keyboard stopped working this morning, and it's making me crazy.
    </end unrelated side note> [​IMG]

6. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    jet. I'd look into metal roof in color of your choice....it will last forever and less expensive than the poly stuff

7. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    realizing your pricing at the big box store, right?

Google metal roofing dealers in your area. Most people don't realize they usually do sell to the public. If you want plain galvanized it's by far the least expensive. Also, you can tell them you don't want to worry about a warranty (unless of course you do) and it will be cheaper also. Another great thing is they cut to order, you need those 13' 2", they'll cut them at that. No doubling up. No need to worry about spending more money to get an extra two or three pieces, and no seams going the wrong way on the roof. Yeah I know, you put the bottom piece far enough under no worries about leaks, but NO seam is always better than any seam when possible.

Also, they'll have all the screws, ridge caps, flashing, trim pieces etc etc........and if you don't have a means to haul extra long pieces, delivery can usually be arranged for a small fee (varies of course from dealer to dealer)

They most likely won't have the poly panels, but then again they might. Look them up, give them a call and get a price, you might be surprised. Even if the price is the same or a bit higher, pieces that are the full length you need = less work = worth it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
  9. twfernandez

Mar 24, 2015
    Virginia
    My Coop
    @PapaChaz - way to go sir, and a big proverbial hats off to you! [​IMG]Found a local building materials supplier, they are able to get me custom length roofing at only a small increase in price over the roofing from HD! For the cost, we decided to steer away from the poly roofing and go for metal. With the amount of roofing I would need, the cost at HD would be approx. $368 w/tax - the product I've purchased is going to cost me about $60 more, but it's cut to exactly the length I want, and the price includes the roofing, the gable and eave trim and all the fasteners and washers that we need!

@Natalierose , looks very similar to the product I've decided on:

http://www.fabral.com/light-commerc...-commercial-metal-roof-and-wall-panel-system/

Do you have any pictures of your coop/run in progress? Would love to see them!

10. IMWitty

IMWitty New Egg

Apr 12, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    I have the clear poly roofs on a large new coop/run built last Fall and just put the tinted version on a new run we built this weekend off of our old coop. I can provide photos if you end up wanting to see these for reference points.

The Pros are:
    -Lets alot of light in, which in the Seattle area during the winter time is a good thing
    -Easy to manipulate and install
    -These roofs aren't noisy when it rains hard like metals roofs can be (and we get a lot of hard rain here)
    -Different price points for 12' panels ranging from $23 - 35 per panel (I chose the more expensive ones for the new coop)

The only major Con I'm finding (at least for the new coop/run since it's in the sun more) is that it tends to heat things up inside, similar to the greenhouse effect and that's at only 60 degrees outside...caught my large fowl girls starting to pant yesterday as it was definitely much warmer inside. This is a 3-sided open coop model mind you (one whole side is enclosed with wire instead). I added greenhouse shade cloth yesterday and that seemed to make a difference but think I also will need to add some potted shade trees outside it. In hindsight, I guess we shouldn't have built the open side facing the sun:)

Overall, we love this roofing and it's held up really well over the winter so far..no complaints outside of the heating up.

Good luck with your chicken run!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by