Chicken run smells pretty rank lately?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kerriliane, Jan 2, 2011.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Hi!
    I went away to Ontario for 10 days on the 21st, and before I left, It was a couple degrees above freezing, and the chickens didnt smell, at all - even people who rarely came to my house said that.
    Now, the RUN is what stinks, the coop needs to be cleaned desperatly, because the girl who was watching my chickens, didn't collects eggs once ( I found 38 intact eggs, and many many shells.. ) and didn't spread any new shavings in the coop which means the poop just built up.. but even like that - the coop doesn't smell nearly as bad as the run!

THe run is 450sq ft, UNCOVERED.. and it REEEEEEKS!
    The ground is frozen, which I think might be part of the problem.. but when i'm home, i let the chickens free range the 2 acres, and they didnt do that in the 10 days I was gone...

I don't know what to do now..
    I've covered the coop with a fresh layer of shavings ( i cleaned it fully a week before i left)

How do I make the run smell better?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    At this point, I would throw down shavings on top of the run. If it is frozen, that's about all you can do right now.

As for the no good chicken sitter...this is a family forum...

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    If it's frozen, thow some straw or shavings down until it thaws. Our run is smelling pretty bad also. I raked up what I could and threw down some fresh straw.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    You can put down Ag lime to decrease the smell, then put your straw on top.

When you are able to clean it up, put the lime down first. Just make sure it is Ag lime and NOT hydrated lime (white-wash).

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I was going to suggest pelletized lime, which is a form of ag lime that has been made into tiny pellets. Much easier to handle and not dusty at all. Costs maybe a buck more than the white powdery stuff; worth every penny to me....

6. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:I was thinking about putting pellatized lime down in the chicken runs and goat area...will they eat the lime? Is it safe if they do? My goat area really needs some de-stinking!

7. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    THe babysitter did take my little ones, and relocate them to her chicken barn.. which means they are warm and safe and fed and watered. The mommas are really good at scratching food into the dishes and it was a 2x daily cleanout of feed/waterers.
    So i'm thankful for that.

On the other hand though, I just have a lot of work to do now.
    the broody boxes were full of cakes food mash/old shavings/poop.. which might have been causing the smell. So I cleaned that out today. When everything un freezes ... hopefully this week, I'm going to get out the wheel barrow and start shovelling out the coop.... or at least the one side they all roost on.. the rest isn;t bad.. just along the one wall they have all chosen to roost against.

I never realised an open air run could smell that bad!!

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    There is no reason to have to clean out feeders and waterers.

Get them off the ground and hang them. Very simple and will save you a world of work.

9. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Quote:I hung the one feeder.. and the babies jumped on it and the string broke cause it was frozen!
    I'm working on setting up a whole 2nd coop for moms.babies and that will have built in off the ground feeders and water

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Spray it down with some oxine..you don't even need to get it wet just a good mist...works super.After a flood we had feet of chicken mud it was horrible...sprayed it-what couldn't be removed first and within minutes the odor was gone.Completely safe for chickens.We use it to spray our coops and runs weekly it also kills most every disease it comes in contact with if you know you have it or not [​IMG]
    We also put it in every water so nothing can get spread through drinking..things land in the water that shouldn't some times and it kills the uck and never any slime to deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by