Chicken Run too much sunlight?

sir jon

Hatching
May 18, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to start the adventure of raising chickens, and the first step is converting an old unused shed to a coop.

To save money and minimize the amount of posts and wire needed, I would like the run to extend out in front of the coop. However, I am worried because there is no shade in the run for ~4hrs of the day up here in Northwest Washington.

Here is what the light looks like in mid afternoon. The run footprint that I want is marked in blue:
Capture1.PNG

Is this too much sunlight ? The summer months can get as hot as 90-100 for a week or so but winters have long nights and can get as low as 10 but average 40. As you can see there is no "deep shade" for the hours of peak sunlight.

To give a full picture of what I am working with, here is what the back and side of shed look like during peak afternoon sun. My neighbor suggested putting the run in the back but I am concerned with the grade, drainage, and amount of sunlight during winter months (you can see his coop in the distance).

IMG_20220518_173536838.jpg
Back Right
IMG_20220518_173517329.jpg
Back Left
Side of shed.
Capture2.PNG
Blue is desired run footprint. Red is an extended run idea that wraps around back but would require more $ and labor which I would like to avoid.

Some other ideas I had are:
- cut out a second door in the back and have two run areas.
- Build a tiny awning out of scrap wood in the blue coop area for shade in the summer months.

Any input is appreciated. I am very excited to own chickens but I want to make sure I am doing it right.

I'd take your neighbor's advice and put the run in the back.
In the heat of the summer, the best way your birds can cope with the heat and cool down is shade. They aren't going to go into the coop to try to cool down. You already have a natural set up, so take advantage of it.

Back
Top Bottom