chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nvmycj, May 16, 2010.

1. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Hey guys... I've been doing some thinking,( uh-oh), and I began to wonder, how in the world do you but the wiring on the top of the run?

My thought process lead me to this:

1. Dig in and concrete exterior posts.

2. That's as far as I got... I'm wanting 24 chickens so I figured a 20x20 run, right? How far apart do I space the interior posts? And then back to my original question,...how do I cover my run?

Thanks!

It's probably a super easy solution, but I'm just not seeing it...

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

A 20 x 20 run would be great, although you could get by with less. Actually, the wider runs are harder to cover. Mine is 16 ft. wide, and we had to sink posts through the middle to cover ours the way we wanted to (see my BYC page).
    It also depends on how you want to cover your run, and with what. If you're just using netting or poultry wire, you could probably stretch wire (like fencing wire) across the span at 4 ft. intervals (if your netting or poultry wire is 48"); you'd have to get it pulled/secured tightly. And then you could affix the wire or netting to that with minimal sagging. If you're going more heavy duty, then you might have to narrow down to a 16 ft. width, do the posts through the center, and kind of frame in a roof/ceiling using 8ft. lengths of 2x2s or 2x4s... Narrow is simpler.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    We put aviery netting on the top of ours so easy to use,and put posts down the middle to keep it from sagging works great.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    I guess I'm just having a hard time visualizing pulling and securing the netting/wire on the middle posts, without me being in the way...

Am I being stupid?

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sink a 6x6 post into the ground equidistant from all sides dead center in the run. 4x4 posts on the corners, then 2" or 3" round posts every 5' gives good spacing for a sound structure. Your center post should be 2' longer than your fence posts. 8' fence posts equal sides 6' tall when burried 2' in the ground, so the center post would be a 10' 6x6. Four 12' 2x4's on edge would run from the center post to the sides. I would also suggest a top rail, so you'll need eight 10' 2x4's. Imagine a wall tent with a large center post.

Last edited: May 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by