1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    WHOO-YOO!!
    Just finished putting concrete around
    the wire in the ditches around the coop.
    Will fill with dirt after set up. Almost finished
    covering the run! The girls will be out soon!!!
    Hurray![​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    [​IMG]

3. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    Please excuse my very new question.... but why? why put concrete? will that help deter predators? or just stop it from moving around? I'm trying to decide on the best coop and chicken run I can make and make it as secure as possible.... I thought I was buying dual purpose birds, but as it turns out they're pets [​IMG]

4. mad4horses

mad4horses Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Verona, WI
    If you want to deter predators and you don't want to use concrete, you need to dig the fencing down I would say at least 1.5 to 2 ft down.
    Concrete would certainly make it very permanent but if you want the option of moving the run I probably wouldn't use concrete.

5. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Predator skirts, that come out from the fence along the ground can be covered with soil and are not as hard to move if you decide to move a run. They are reliable predator guards.

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    We didn't use concrete along the run, we did dig about
    8 inches around the run and bury the fencing. We just
    used the concrete around the coop. We could still move the
    run, if we wanted to. We will not be moving the coop.

7. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I'm still a little confused. The concrete is for the foundation for the coop, right? How are you protection the runs? The reason I mention skirts for run protection is, from a predators point of view it's a matter of how much energy is spent to get to your goal.
    So say I'm a fox and you have your fence buried 8" below ground. I come up to the edge of your run and I smell chickens. I love chicken dinner. My first instinct is to a dig under the fence. So for this to happen the fox would need to dig down 8" plus the width of his body and he's in. A fox can dig a 12" hole in under an hour if it's the ground is not full of stones.
    With skirts, I come up to the to your run and I smell chicken. My first instinct is to dig under the fence, but wait, there is fence under my feet. If I'm not real a clever fox I'll walk around and around the run looking for a place to dig under the fence or find some other weak point. If I'm a real clever fox and I figure out that I must move back to the edge of the wire skirt, and let say the skirt is 16" wide, I now have to dig 16" plus my body width to get into your run. Twice the effort to get in and I would need to be very clever to figure it out.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Digging to put in wire or concrete is a LOT of work when you can accomplish the same goal by simply laying a wire apron on the surface and covering it with just enough dirt to let grass grow up through it.

This 100 lb dog dug this far in less than 2 minutes chasing a mole
    [​IMG]Notice she has her shoulders in the hole, and her legs are reaching down, which makes the hole about 16 inches wide and 18 inches deep already[​IMG]

9. Gigiintheforest

Gigiintheforest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    That certainly makes a good point!

10. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    Less work and more predator proof? I'm sold too! Thanks so much for everyone's advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by