chicken runr

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by winnman, Jun 15, 2011.

1. winnman

winnman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Well the chicken run works great. It is 6 feet long about 2. Ft 7 inches. High and wide. With chicken wire everywhere except. The bottom. This way I can move it anywhere at anytime ..We put inbetween the rows and my six chickens weed each row

2. winnman

winnman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    The question I have do you think they are getting enough scratch. I give them some in their chicken grower feed now that they are 14 weeks old. Also when should I begin looking for eggs? Plus should I start then on Oysters yyet?

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I would be concerned about the chicken wire. Most any cat, dog or hawk won't have any trouble tearing through chicken wire,
    but if someone is around watching them it will probably be OK. If they are left alone for any period of time I would put some
    hardware cloth over that chicken wire.

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The question I have do you think they are getting enough scratch. I give them some in their chicken grower feed now that they are 14 weeks old. Also when should I begin looking for eggs? Plus should I start then on Oysters yyet?

Scratch should be given ONLY as a treat, not a diet supplement, and not mixed with their grower feed, which is formulated to give them all they need for a health growth. Eggs should begin at 18-24 weeks depending on the breed. When they start laying, not before, you should begin giving them calcium by either using layer feed or offering another bowl of oyster shells for them to use as they need it.​

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by