Chicken(s) scouring

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cornball, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cornball

cornball Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I have one or more chickens that are scouring. I just discovered the scours this afternoon, they were not there this AM. They are on free will Purina Layena, and have access to free will oyster shells and grit. I have stopped feeding corn scratch per several people's suggestions, but that was in the last day or two, so there is probably still some in the bedding. I gave the hens a quick looking over (short of picking up and examining each hen's vent), but did not see any dirty ones. When I have had calves scouring, I have treated them with scour pills and even with Pepto Bismol, but I doubt that either of those would work with chickens. Here is a picture of one of the scours I found, there are around 5 - 6 of these spots in the coop and run.
    [​IMG]

Is this something I should worry about and/or treat, or is it a result of stress and will probably clear itself up?

Thanks

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  3. cornball

cornball Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Great, thanks for the link! From the provided chart, it does look like cecal poop. Thanks for the help, and thanks for the welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by