Chicken Saddle Mania

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, Jan 4, 2012.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    OMGosh, I put saddles on 5 of my 42 girls last night and the hen house in is an uproar!!! All of the girls not wearing them and the rooster are absolutely freaking out when one of the saddled girls come near them. They are flying into the sides of the coop and everything. I turned the light out and was hoping that this morning everything would be cool again. Well, I just turned the light back on and still.....MANIA!!! Will they get used to them eventually or do I need to worry about them (the unsaddled girls) killing themselves first??? [​IMG] The 5 saddled girls seem okay with them but confused about the commotion!!! Any suggestions?

2. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    WHat are chicken saddles for?

3. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    LOL...you put them on your hens that the Rooster is taking all the feathers off her back.

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

give them plenty of room today...and lots of treats to distract them. I think they'll get used to them very soon. What color are the saddles? Got any pics? Would love to see one. I cut some saddles out of an old gray fleece top but haven't used them for a good while

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by