Chicken Saddle... need help with sizing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScotianChick, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    My chickens just threw a huge fit when I came in and tried to measure them with a measuring tape. Measuring tape = Evil. I can't do anything right with them lately [​IMG] Everytime I do something they are terrified of me. Anyway I need chicken saddles and found some cute ones on Etsy. I have three Silverlaced Wyandottes and two RIRs. I managed to measure my RIR Alabama and her back is exactly 6 inches from the base of the neck to the start of the tail. I went to measure the SLWs and I could barely measure I think it said 7 or 8 inches... So what size should I get there is a 9 inch long one, 6 inch long one, 5 inch long one. The 6 inch one will obviously be okay for the one RIR, a small might be okay for my runt RIR but what about the silverlaced? Is better to have too little or too much?

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Omg, I laughed when I saw this.. too much of a coincidence that I was looking around BYC! I think those are my chicken saddles, and in that case, I can make you ones that will fit your girls! [​IMG]

FWIW - my girls don't like me coming in and messing with them very much either [​IMG] They should be use to it by now but they still hate it.

3. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    Haha that is so weird! I was half wondering when looking at your page if you were on BYC! Would it be okay to get the girls 8 inch ones instead of 9?

4. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I learned something new today!! I can go home now. I had no idea what a chicken saddle was or that they even exist. I checked out your website and how cool!! I can see how you would want these if you have expensive show birds. Too cool!!!

5. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    ohh!! So glad I found this post!! I need two as well! I was going to try to make them but I want cuter ones!! [​IMG]

Can you send me the link??

6. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    Oh crap... I'm from Canada [​IMG] You don't ship here, I just noticed! I'm sorry to bug you a bunch!

7. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    Nevermind!! Saw your link on your signature!! Out to go measure my girls....but I'm sure I'll have questions!!

8. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Yep! 8 inch would be okay, just pick one of the large colors for her and I'll make it smaller [​IMG] It's really not a problem at all to fix that - I'd rather have the girls in something that would fit them better! lol Gotta love BYC

9. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I CAN ship to Canada, I would just need to figure out the shipping to get it there. [​IMG]

Edited to add - If you tell me how many you need and of what size, I'll stop at the post office in the morning and see how much extra the shipping is.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  10. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    Okay that sounds great [​IMG] I'll send you a message through etsy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by