Chicken saddle pattern to share?? Help Please my girls need 1 bad

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by GhostRider65, Oct 3, 2011.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Does anyone have a pattern for the chicken saddles ? My poor babies are getting their feathers pulled out by the roosters.............
    winter is coming and they will be bald and frost bitten if I don't make them something....... Ive seen them for sale but hubby lost his job 2 months ago and we have no money but I do sew and have tons of material that should work........Pleaase help, TYVM Kim

2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I found a couple a while back by using the serch function......Good luck.
    Mine are all in molt & look terible.

3. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    TY so very much my hens will love you for the pattern......................... TY again

Ok Heres what I came up with
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok had to revise it a bit she pulled it off so I added a neck strap about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, Do you all think that is enough its under her feathers now and doesn't feel tight just snug, if I make it too big she wwill pull it off?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    bumping this up for opinions......

5. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Well mine aren't able to take their saddles off if I make sure I get the elastic under their wings properly so I'm not sure how that extra would work. I would be worried about it getting caught on stuff, but the only way you'll know is to put it one them and try it out.

Good luck and please let us know how it does.

6. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Well so far so good its staying on and she has finally quit pecking at it....... doesn't seem to bother her now.
    I did go ahead and make another with the straps that cross over to make the neck loop, and another girl is wearing that 1 but it seems too loose and slides to her side when the roos mount, so will adjust that tomorrow if we are home early enough. TY for the comment. Kim

7. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Sounds like it's working out well. Congrats on a good job. [​IMG]

8. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Want to make me one? Lol

I've been wanting to try to make a saddle and a chicken diaper for a while now and DH put my material up in the attic! [​IMG]

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That is just too cute! I would just go plain til I got the fit down, then adorn it. I bet you could sell that style, and make some extra $. You put so much effort into that one, I hope the girls wear them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by