chicken saddles/aprons

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by branston, Nov 22, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I hatched our own chicks back in April. 15 hatched, 9 were roos so I managed to find a good home for 7 of the roos but just couldn't part with two. That left me with 6 hens, one with a crooked beak and the 2 roos. The roos have been relentless and have taken the feather out of two of the hens backs. I bought the chicken saddles and now have them on the hens but how long can I keep them on? Should I take them off at night and put them back on in the morning or can they just keep them on until the feathers grow back? I have 9 "teenagers" that are now free ranging with the existing flock and are getting ready to lay, I have seen the roos on at least two of them so this will eleviate the pressure on my five layers and I also bought 17 7 week old chicks (quarentined for now) last week so the roos will have plenty of hens to keep them happy. Anyone else used the chicken saddles? Many thanks

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I leave my hen saddles on all the time. night and day.

there feathers should grow back with them on.
    do your saddles have shoulder pads?

3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    No, they don't have shoulder pads, do I need them? I get mine from Louise's Country Closet. Thanks for the advice on keeping them on night and day. My little Sophie doesn't seem to mind it atall, I expect she's quite relieved!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by