chicken saddles? do they really work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twister, Oct 15, 2009.

1. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    sorry if this post is in the wrong place...

I was wondering if the chicken saddles really work? I have some barebacked hens and was told to try the saddles or add more hens for roo. I have some pullets but they are not mature. I purchased some saddles and am waiting for them to arrive. I wonder, do they really work? Two hens are JUST now putting back on feathers and I am afraid the saddle will irritate the new 'blood' feathers that are now just peeking out.... i hear the blood feathers are extremely sensitive.... i suppose the alt. of being yanked out by an overaggressive, HEAVY-butt roo. Is there such a thing as the roo being too heavy for the hen? He is an BO and the hens are wyndotte and RIR.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have saddles for my hens and they do work very well as long as they are the right size and dont slide around, i had one do that so it didnt really help her. And I have heard of roos killing pullets because they are too heavy but havent had the problem myself.

3. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    YES YES YES! They will save their lives!

Chef

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by