1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken saddles made the girls hop backwards!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by write2caroline, Jun 26, 2011.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I needed to put some saddles on some of my girls who were getting a wee bit bare. So they came in the mail and I ordered lg and xl for my girls. OMGosh at first they HATED them. I would carefully put them on and set them down and the antics began. Hopping like crazy and walking backwards. I would adjust the straps and loosen them here and there or swap out for the larger size.

Now they are wearing them as if it were no big deal but I just thought I would share.

Caroline

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    it takes some hens longer to get use to them, then others.

one of my hens will hop like you said, for 24 hours, before acting normal again. my other hen I put it on, and with in 10 mins shes normal about it. [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm sure that was quite a sight. I'm glad you posted this......I have not put them on my girls yet.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've had the same experience. It's exceedingly entertaining!

But the best was when I put a custom-designed saddle on my little SLW Alice. She had both a bald back and bald shoulders so I sewed her a multi-colored saddle with shoulder ruffles. When she came charging out of the coop into the pen wearing her new getup, all the flock scattered in terror at the apparition!

They do go through some extreme contortions, trying to get the thing off, and I had to keep modifying Alice's saddle until it was escape-proof.[​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally normal. [​IMG] The 2-day moonwalk is very normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by