Chicken Saddles Success Rate or any ideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by write2caroline, Sep 10, 2011.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My flock was getting bald backs from the roos.

I got saddles and put them on the girls.

I also reduced my standard roos from 4 to 1. I need to re home 2 bantam egger roos who are very cute but are trying to breed with the standard girls and may also be hurting my girls.

I was checking and I found that the saddles are not really letting the feathers grow back and in some cases the feathers broke. I also found that two girls had gashes that went untreated because I did not see them under the saddles. Both girls are okay but of course I would rather that the saddles protected them better.

Any solutions?

Other ideas?

Different kinds of saddles? I purchased them from a vendor on this site and they are very well made and thick. I notice that even with the elastics and the correct fitting they slip a little.

Caroline

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I had the same problem. How many hens and how many roosters do you have now?

I got my hen saddles from a number of different places. but non worked very well, I decide to give it one more try.
    I ordered a few saddles from
    lovemychix
    Here on BYC
    They are the best saddles I have ever had. and I highly recomend them!

your hens feathers will grow back, but sometimes if they are really bald from the roo, you have to wait till the hens moult.
    you may have to wait a year. right now I am waiting for one of my bald hens to moult. they moult once a year.
    But the saddles wont stop the feathers from growing.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    That was the brand I got and I do believe they are well made. Maybe I need to adjust or tighten the straps. The one chicken is very large maybe a Jersey Giant (got her in a variety pack so I was not too sure) so she has on a larger saddle but maybe I need to figure out a way to fit it on her better or more tightly. And Jerseygirl (her name) is not very compliant about me adjusting it or anything - she fusses and pecks at me. I was checking her feet for bumble foot when I noticed the problem.

I have one standard roo and 4 bantam roos of which 2 really only hang out with my bantam hens and leave the rest alone and the other two do try to breed with the standard girls from time to time. The injuries happened prior to my losing one to the neighbors dogs and sending two to freezer camp.

I have 20 standard chickens and 3 bantam hens. I also have a bantam roo isolated due to shock from the dog attack but he seems to be on the mend.

I also noticed some of my girls are losing feathers on their wings too at the shoulders (first bend no clue what it is called)

I will try the other brand of saddle. I was thinking maybe I could add another elastic strap or something.

Are there any other measures I can take to help them?

Thanks
    Caroline

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG] I think it seems odd that they dont fit your hens right?

You should talk to lovemychix she will most likely have sume suggestions. since she made the saddles. she may know whats going on.

also, could you posts a picture that may help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by