Chicken saddles won't stay put

colby318

got 'dottes?
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Stamping Ground, KY
I bought saddles from hensaver.com. (Nice folks, too.) I got the ones for active hens with the neck loop as well as the wing straps. Problem- when our rooster does trampoline step aerobics on the hen the saddle ends up hanging off of her side. My normally tame hens now run from me because I'm always chasing them to fix the saddle. Any suggestion? I lost a hen already this winter because of her back wounds so I don't want to remove the saddles.

I did have more roos in the beginning but rehomed them so I have 1 rooster on 9 hens. He also seems to have favorites. Some of the girls are untouched but a couple are featherless.

I just made a saddle out of flannel and the chickens feathers seem to stick to it, kind of like velcro. Maybe you could sew a liner of flannel on to the one you have? Did you say what it was made out of?

Well mine stayed put overnight, so we'll see how it works, she is in the nest laying right now but the rooster was already with her...

Great idea. It's double layered cloth a little softer than than duck canvas with padding in the middle. I can fabric glue some flannel on the bottom side. I really like their design. It has a notch for the tail and fits the wider hens well. It's the slim bodied hens that it slips on. Then bend down and it flaps up in the back.
Thanks,
Colby in KY

Your welcome
smile.png

It seems to be staying in place, I didn't know if the snaps I used were strong enough. I made the saddle with the elastic that goes around their wings, I am going to make some more for the other girls and extras.

I use duck tape with a soft piece of material under on her bare skin. works great for me and seems to give my hens more courage to run from T-Rex. I told DH today looks like T-Rex is gonna be large as a turkey.He will be 2 years old in April and rules every thing here except me.My GGD came down yesterday with a water pistol and I asked what was she gonna do with it and she told me" I gonna shoot the rooster." marrie

That's too funny! A water gun. Mighty hunter!
Thanks for the idea. Other people have mentioned duct tape in the threads. But putting fabric under it makes sense.

I recommend the single strap model of hen saver for narrower chickens -- stays put better. I have four young, narrow Ameraucanas wearing single strap hen savers and they are staying in place well. Let me know if the fabric bottom works -- I can add that to the next generation design.

Back
Top Bottom