Chicken Saddles

TGreenhut

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Northern, CA
I was wondering if it would be ok to put a chicken saddle on a hen just so the pecks don't hurt even if they don't already have a wound?

And do the chicken saddles make the chickens hot or even uncomfortable?

So basically I just want to hear your guys' opinions on chicken saddles. (To see if they're worth my money if I don't have a serious condition)

My opinion, I wouldn't use a saddle unless the hen was starting to show signs of actually needing one. I have a rooster that is actually gentle on his girls. In the past, i've had hens that just had to have one. Now that it's summer and hot the extra covering seems to make the hens hotter than they already are. I guess it depends on the weather where you are.

I also have a pattern that I would be happy to email to you. Just send an email and I would be happy to send free of course. If I can help an animal that's all that matters. If you don't sew there are nice aprons to choose from that the wonderful BYC'ers sell.

Quote:
It's really hot where I live in the summer so I probably will see if the hen starts to develop a problem, and if she does then I will get a saddle. So just in case, it would be really nice if you would be able to send the pattern email to me!
big_smile.png
My email is [email protected].

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom