Chicken saddles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Batty about Banties, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Whats some opinions either way? Do they work? Should I buy one or try to rig up one of my own? What are some other options for bareback hens?

2. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    you could always seperate them but that can stress them and be difficult for you to care for ive never used one before but i was looking at some peoples remarks and they say they work pretty well i was looking at some my self

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    ok, I have a 9 month roo, who is quite busy with 7 hens, and their back show it. I have read here, that a good roo generally gets better, but not till he has a little age.

So I am thinking the saddles. I will try and sew some this week, and this is my question, do they prevent fertilization, or just protect the back?

MrsK

4. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I am hoping it only protects the back but not sure

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have used them on two different hens who were being mated frequently and had torn feathers or a bare spot on their backs. They worked very well and the chickens eventually returned to normal feathering. I used the kind you make with just a pair of scissors and a scrap of polarfleece. Directions in this BYC page, scroll way down:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=167

You can also make one with just duct tape; it is supposed to be left on til the bird molts it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by