Chicken saddles???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DUCKGIRL89, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I was thinking anout getting two chicken saddles for my two female ducks. I have 4 males and 2 girls and they just staryed breeding and im afraid that the guys are going to make their poor backs bare. But I dont know if they work for ducks? I reallycould use the help thanks
    Before theu get beat up too much please!

2. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    has anyone ever put these on ducks?

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never seen the bare back problem in ducks - I think it would only happen if there were lots of males and few females.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Oh it sure does happen with them, just as bad or worse as chickens.

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thats odd - I have never had that in any of my ducks and I have kept calls, muscovies, runners, pekins, Campbells and many others. How prevelent has this problem been for you, and how are your birds housed? Is it as I suspect, more likely when there are lots of males?

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have seen pics on google of bare backed ducks. and no this never happend to me but im worried it will.

7. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I had it happen once, long ago we had 2 girls, and when a drake was added the top gal refussed to submit and he pulled all her back and wing featers out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by