Chicken saddles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Theclickens, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Theclickens

Theclickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Harlem, GA
    I just put saddles on two of my hens that are missing back feathers from our rooster mating with them. I don't know how long to keep them on. Do I leave them on all the time, removing occasionally to wash them? What if they get wet or damp? Anyone else know what to do?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If they get overly damp I would swap them for a dry one. You can keep them on a while, just make sure to take a peek under there. I take mine off to wash them and give the hens a chance to preen. I kept mine on until they had molted and had stronger feathers.

How old are they, what breed, and how many hens do you have?

3. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Also, what kind of material are the saddles made out of? If you have elastic for the wings be careful drying them...I learned this the hard way :)

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

You can leave them on as long as you want. Until their feathers grow back or even longer. I have a hen who wears hers all the time, going on two years now. Since they regularly bathe in dirt anyhow, I don't think washing the aprons is going to benefit them at all. They do occasionally get wet in rain, but it dries and doesn't seem to be a problem to them. Now, once the elastic wears out and you find the apron hanging in the front instead of on their back, it might be time for new elastic. So, if your rooster is with your hen all the time, her wearing it all the time would benefit her back.

5. Theclickens

Feb 26, 2014
    Harlem, GA
    Thank you. My hens are 8 months old to 2 years old. I have 12, and 1 very eager rooster. I have 1 RIR, 1 barred rock, 4 EE, 3 buff orpingtons, 2 black sexlinks, and 1 BLSW. My rooster is a BLSW as well.

6. Theclickens

Feb 26, 2014
    Harlem, GA
    Thank you. I was hoping they could just wear them all the time until my rooster calms down at least. I plan to get all my hens saddles, just in case.

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    The reason I suggest checking under them regularly and cleaning them once in a while is I had a hen that started to refeather with it on. The rooster ended up breaking a feather that was just starting. The blood dried the saddle to her skin. It took quite a bit of soaking to clean it all up. It wasn't a huge issue, but now I know to look more often than I was and keep it clean. I also worry that bugs could get under there despite dusting themselves with it. Just my opinion.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by