Chicken safe foliage

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Doebob, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Doebob

Doebob Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Hi all,

I am designing my run for my backyard flock. The run itself is going to be attached to a shed that I will eventually be turning into a coop w/ storage and workspace. I am going to be using a prefab coop for the first year while building the new improved version. Anyway, the run is going to be constructed about 1.5 ft from the privacy fence between my yard and my neighbors huge driveway. I was thinking of adding some bushes between the fence and the run as a sound barrier not only for the neighbors but also for the flock. I am hoping to plant something that my girls might be able to nibble on during their free-range time or when it grows big enough to be reached through the run fencing. My question for the more experienced is what types of bushes would be beneficial for the chickens?

Thanks in advance,
    Sherry

2. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Berry bushes. Think mulberry for example. If it can grow in your climate, it is a classic for chickens. Other berries too, even raspberry...they love them. Grapevines are an idea too...very pretty I think!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I do not see my chickens attempting to nibble on bushes, They do go thru my backyard free range and do eat grass, dandelions and other weeds. They do know which to avoid or are not tasty. I also think that they are in search of insects more than just greens.
    Just an opinion shared by many here about prefab coops. They are over rated on their capacity. If a coop says it can handle 6 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, usually the true number is 3 to 4. If you are going to have bantams, then 4 to 5. Over crowding brings a lot of headaches to the chicken owner more often than not. Prefab coops are a good start to get into chicken keeping instantly. A thing to consider also is predator proofing the new unit. All depending on the type of predators in your area.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

4. mobius

@cavemanrich all around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel...

1 person likes this.
  5. mobius

@lazy gardener would have the best answer because she is a gardener. I know that because she says so. In her name. Even if she is lazy. And because I have one and a half months of gardening season here in deep NW Montana, I know nothing. Except I do know a good snow plow guy.

I am not lazy. I just have a lot of snow most of the time. And i refuse to shovel it.The rest of the time I am out sailing.

1 person likes this.
  6. Doebob

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    @Mobius... Thanks for the sugestion. I had not thought about berry bushes. Definitely will look into that. :D

@cavemanrich... I may have misspoke. I don't expect my girls to eat the foliage, but nibble at the bugs hiding within. Unless it is something like mint, but that is not likely to be an effective sound barrier.
    Thank you for your advice on the prefab coops. As I stated it really is just a temporary measure as I build my shed into a suitable coop. :)

7. mobius

[​IMG]!!!!!

And thank you ~snif I think it is a good idea also! who knows where grapevines could lead....I won't go there....

Don't mind the ridiculous banter, it is not my fault, I am egged on by other unethical chicken owners who will remain un-named for no good reason.

8. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    @Doebob What kind of chickens are you going to get. I have 3 Polish hens, 2 PR. and 2 OEGH, as well as a Senior EE. I just posted a funny pix of one of my Polish hens on another thread. Here it is again.
    [​IMG]
    I took her to the beauty salon to have hair done after a visit to the dentist.

9. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    I agree

10. Doebob

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    @cavemanrich

Here is my list. I went varied as to get a wide range of possible personalities. I am getting a single chick from each breed on the list and God willing they will all be girls.

White Leghorn
    Rhode Island Red
    Buff Orpington
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Speckled Sussex
    Easter Egger
    New Hampshire Red
    Silver Spangled Hamburg
    Buff Brahma

I am wondering if I shouldn't look to bring my numbers down a bit. I am getting them from My Pet Chicken the last week of May, just in time for my birthday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by