1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Safe Herbicides/Pesticides?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goldtopper, May 16, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Seeing how my girls prefer my hostas to weeds, I am wondering if there are any spot spray weed killers that would be safe to use, particularly if they change their minds.
    Also-
    I normally spray my apple tree weekly for bugs/fungal diseases. I use red spheres to curtail coddling moth and maggot moths, but may need additional control to get good apples. The spheres are coated in non-toxic tanglefoot goo which attracts the flies and makes them stick to them.

Any help welcomed!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have successfully used white vinegar to kill weeds. Only thing is, you must be patient and come back to inspect it after a week instead of the next day with the commercial stuff.

I have also used bleach spray.

But with the bleach better wait until it rains before letting them out on it, IMO. Or wash it off with a hose later.

Soap is good to spray fruit trees with (fels-naptha laundry soap bar diluted in water) from what I have READ (haven't done it).

I did a quick search and found someone's recommendation for how much soap to use:
    http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/CatalogPrd.asp?prm=100
    scroll down

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by