Chicken safety in the UK

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicksuk, Aug 6, 2010.

1. chicksuk

chicksuk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Hull
    Hi new to this chicken keeping , at present i've got the birds in a (fairly) secure run , but would like to allow them more space in the garden . however this would mean fencing being a lot lighter mesh . and i am wondering if anyone has any problems with Urban Fox or other predators, i live in the northern half of the Uk

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Sounds like a good job for a guard dog.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, I now live in rural Wales but moved from Birmingham UK.
    In the city urban foxes were a major problem and were VERY bold.....we had one who slept on our compost heap and another who would casually stroll up the back garden in the middle of the day. However, the urban foxes didn't bother chickens (or our rabbit) much as they were so overfed on discarded take aways and dustbins. They are, however, unafraid of man and could certainly pose a major threat to your chickens particularly when they have cubs or the weather is cold and they are hungry.
    In the country rural foxes are very shy, but hungry as there are no easy food sources, so they continue to pose a problem to chickens.
    In cities in GB there are also sparrow hawks who are partial to chicks. In the country buzzards and kites are much more of an issue, though these are shy birds and won't normally come near to the house.
    We also have polecats and minks to contend with, but only stoats generally in the city.

Sandie

4. chicksuk

chicksuk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Hull
    i already have two dogs around the place , and am considering using the back end of my garden which is currently surrounded by a six foot high wooden fence, i will be blocking any obvious openings with a strong pet mesh .
    Do foxes climb , or only burrow .

any Advice welcome , and thanks for advice already recieved.

5. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Foxes do both - climb/burrow.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Having given advice just a few days ago, the unthinkable happened....fox attack.

My husband forgot to shut the coop and the fox took 6 chickens....feathers and blood around the coop. My Dark Brahma boy must have put up a tremendous fight....he is full of holes and I have had to have him stitched. Don't know if he will survive this, but he deserves to.

At the moment I am cursing the rural fox.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by