Chicken Safety Warning

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lunachick, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have sliding glass doors going out to the backyard where my two hens like to roam in the afternoons. Everytime I go out those doors they come a runnin thinking I'm bringing treats.

Well, the other day I was going out to actually bring them treats, as they were gobbling up the goodies, I did a few things in the yard. When they were done with the dish their treats were in, I picked it up to bring indoors, as I walked in and slid the door shut I hear a weird thumping-flapping noise. As I looked behind me I saw Ruby's beak stuck between the door and frame! I had closed the door on her beak! :eek:

I opened it and she was free, not hurt because I didn't slam it shut, just closed it slow like. OMG I thought I really hurt her! Can you imagine if I slammed it shut? She would have been really injured or decapitated.

Just beware of those kinds of situations, I hope this info prevents something like that happening to someone else!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chickens, especially tame ones, are just like toddlers. If we think of them that way and "baby-proof" things, then usually we'll do well and keep them safe. Anything like that can happen to any of us-those girls will get themselves into the weirdest predicaments at times! Thanks for posting the warning!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for that post - a good reminder!
    I once slammed the car door on my dog's tail...boy, did she scream! She was fine, but it could have been REALLY bad!

4. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    like toddlers? LOL, the only thing they need now is a diaper! That would be great huh? [​IMG]

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There are chicken diapers, and many use them so they can have house chickens. Google it, or search here for a pattern to make your own. Also google flight suits, companies make them for every type of pet bird so they can be out fo the cage getting some flight time.

6. Lilychick

Lilychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    MA
    Oh, but they do make diapers. I saw a woman at a fair with a diaper on her homing pidgeon. She told me they made them for chickens too.

http://www.flightquarters.com/

That'd be the last straw with DH here.[​IMG]

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    and they make them for ducks. there are a couple of websites. [​IMG]

8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I am pretty sure we have a member who makes chicken diapers.

9. Lilychick

Lilychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    MA
    Okay, someone has got to tell me more about "house chickens". Or point me in the right direction, forum-wise! And who makes the diapers?

(My spouse would not be into this at all. I did bring Okajima the Chicken into the living room to watch the Sox win the world series! Husband was not pleased).

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Mine follow me very closely. Yesterday Chick, my RIR, got her foot stepped on because she had to beat me to the can of scratch. She's plain unlucky that her human mom has such big feet, 'cause a chicken foot isn't that big of a target.

Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by