Chicken Salad Sandwich - with photos

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I had two small chickens in the freezer.

Yesterday, I slowly boiled them with garlic and onions.

cs1.jpg

One I saved and put in the fridge for today. The other I picked all the meat from the bones.

cs2.jpg

I chopped up a bit of onion and celery, quartered some red seedless table grapes, chopped a few pecans and grabbed a few craisens.

cs3.jpg

I mixed it all together with mayonnaise , salt and pepper to taste - and forgot to take the photo!

I then sliced a round of bread into not too thick sliced but not thin ones either. It is oatmeal, raisen, walnut, whole wheat and simeply delicious!

cs4.jpg

Lettuce, tomato and we had an amazing sandwhich!

cs5.jpg

Ignore the paper plate. I wasn't in a dishwashing mood.

cs6.jpg

I served it with crispy chips and pink lemonade.

cs7.jpg

I also put a gallon of chicken stock from the cooking fo the chickens in to the freezer. This will be great for a quick recipe requiring stock or adding to a simple rice sidedish or noodle soup for my kids.

The bones went into a bag and were saved to be cook again for more stock .

Here is another style chicken salad that I make.

Another recipe to come with the other chicken!

Series - 2 Chickens, a Pineapple, a Potted Plant, Ducks and Geese - chicken salad, chicken with pineapple and broccoli, a potted plant, ducks and geese .

Makes me hungry for some of my mom-in-law's chicken salad. She made the best. I've got her recipe, but it never turns out quite the same as her's did. Unfortunately she's been gone for several years now. She was the best mother-in-law!!

How long with the stock last? Do you store on the shelf or in the fridge/freezer?

Here's a stupid question....what's the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth??

LMAO I got really worried and thought your chicken stock was the pink lemonade for a minute. I was thinking everything looked wonderful up until then
lol.png

No difference. These I popped in the freezer. Unless I am doing a big batch and making several jars of stock I don't use the canner.

I never thought of putting the dried cranberries in there, but it makes perfect sense! Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the difference between "stock" and "broth," I always considered "stock" to be what you have pictured up there (YUM), and "broth" to be very clear and pale golden, with no sediment or anything in it. Stock is hearty and flavorful and a wonderful base for soups, stews, and other recipes, and broth is what we use for sick or weak ones (people and animals), or to cook rice in, or to use in certain other recipes. Here's a picture of some broth I made from a wild turkey--I had to take particular care not to let it get cloudy, and I skimmed off the fat, and then finally, strained the liquid through coffee filters to make sure there was no particulate matter.

2514657045_8d52977e50_m.jpg

The little specks are frozen crystals of broth that are still melting in the pot. I used this as the base of a Spanish rice dish in which I wanted the rice to look very clean, but still taste richer.

The way I understood it, "stock" is the king. You must have stock to make broth, but you darn sure can't use broth to make stock. Does that make sense?
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom