Chicken sausage recipe wanted

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickenhound, Aug 1, 2014.

1. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    We are planning on culling 6 birds from the flock this weekend and want to make chicken sausage. Does anyone have any good recipes for chicken sausage? I am looking for a spicy sausage and not a breakfast type sausage.

2. osbmail

osbmail Chirping

Jul 10, 2013
    Have been making sausage for awhile and finally found out I was doing wrong. I think it was having a recipe , I was getting caught up in it. I just ground up some young rooster the first batch a add salt ,pepper ,garlic , powder ,maple syrup no measurement . Just add pinch of this and that made a burger and it was good .Next batch I Used dried apples ,dried jalapeƱos,salt ,pepper ,cilantro and a little water. I think the dried apple helped hold everything together it tasted great. I some chicken in the pan to fry them . They tasted better and package mix or recipe I every used.

3. osbmail

osbmail Chirping

Jul 10, 2013
    Used chicken fat in the pan to fry them.

4. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Thanks for the reply Osbmail. I ended up using a recipe I got on line and the sausages were great. I added 12 oz ground up bacon to my 5 lbs of ground chicken breasts as well as a cup of red wine,2 jalapeno peppers, some cilantro, salt and pepper. It was great. I have heard that apples go well in chicken sausage as well and I will add that next time I make it.

5. osbmail

osbmail Chirping

Jul 10, 2013
    I think the main thing is use good ingredients and don't over think it .Dried apples probably make a good binder.And it is to dry just fry it in fat.

6. SanCarlos6127

SanCarlos6127 In the Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    Culling 4-5 older roosters this week, anyone have any recipes for sausage? I haven't found much using google...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: