CHICKEN SCALEY FEET

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pamchicken, Oct 2, 2013.

1. pamchicken

pamchicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    kansas
    I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD HEN THAT HAS BIG THICK SCALEY STUFF ALL OVER HER FEET. I BOUGHT SCALE PREVENTER AND HAVE BEENSPRAING HER FEET FOR A WEEK. IT SEEMED TO HELP A LITTLE BUT NOW IM CONSIDERING SPRAYING WITH VETERICYN. ANY SUGGESTIONS

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that spraying with Vetericyin would help. I believe that it is an antiseptic spray, not a mite killer. It wouldn't hurt the bird, but I don't think it would help. I would just continue spraying with that Scaly Leg Mite prevententer. You can also try dipping her feet in mineral or vegetable oil, or rubbing vaseline on the legs. Scrubbing with a toothbrush will remove any loose scales or crusty material.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree--continue with the Scaly Leg Mite preventer; it should kill any mites that are still alive, and prevent others from coming onto your bird. Soak the feet in warm water and scrub them to help remove raised scales or crust. However, the scales may never return to normal.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As BantamLover21 said, even if you treat the Scaly Leg Mites, her feet might never be as smooth as a normal hen's. I have a chicken who had a mild case of Scaly Leg Mites before I got her, and her scales never returned to normal.

5. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    She is fine, most chickens get SCALEY FEET, believe my 75% of my chickens have really scaley feet, and they are ages 4- 8. Never had a problem.

6. pamchicken

pamchicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    kansas
    thank you everyone for the feed back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by