Chicken scraps from restaurants and fruit markets?....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlueGrassFever, Dec 24, 2007.

1. BlueGrassFever

BlueGrassFever Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    Thumb of Michigan
    Do any one of you get your scraps from local restaurants and/or fruit markets' leftovers?

If so, do you pay the person(s) for the scrap foods?

Just wondering how you'd came about it and how's it working out for you?

Just looking for another food alternative for the chickens!

Thanks...BlueGrassFever

2. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Try organic markets. Most major chains won't work with you because they already donate to food pantries and have been involved in law suits due to humans consuming the free, old food. Gross, I know, but you know it could happen, I suppose...

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Unfortunately it's illegal to feed animals "kitchen waste" here, as that is how the foot and mouth epidemic started back in 2001 (1/6 of farm animals slaughtered, farming industry up sh!t creek after that).

Either way, I don't really have enough chickens to be worrying about things like that (I only have two) although I do sometimes cook them porridge (it's not waste, I made it specially for them lol).

4. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My local market is always happy to give me their "old" veggies and fruit for the chickens. I still always make sure they have access to their layer pellets, but supplement with greens and fruit (especially in the winter) if there is snow/ice and they can't get to anything or enough green stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by