Chicken Scratch Poultries BLRW??????????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hx28586, Jul 25, 2010.

1. hx28586

hx28586 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    I have recently placed in my incubator, 10 fertile Blue Laced Red Wynadotte eggs purchased from Chicken Scratch Poultry. I came across a picture of the hatcherie's adult brood stock of BLRW and realized they don't look as pure bread as I've seen elsewhere. Has anyone purchased this breed from them? And if so can you please post pics of the resulting chickens and reasure that I've made a good purchase.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never heard of them before, but I looked at their website. Honestly they are not very good quality wyandottes. They also don't even bother to spell Coronation correctly for their "corination sussex"....or Lavender for their "Lavander orpingtons". I always figure if they can't even bother to get the names of the breeds right on their website, they aren't very picky about their birds.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They don't know how to spell Wheaten either. They spelled it Wheaton.

Chris

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:They don't know how to spell Wheaten either. They spelled it Wheaton.

Chris

I didn't notice that one!

5. hx28586

hx28586 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Not sure if any of you have experience with the BLRW but I have read on the net that one way to increase the beautiful color of the bird is to cross the Splash color with a black laced colored bird. I could not find a black laced breed of wyandotte on any of the web sites. The picture provided in the explaination closely resembles a Golden laced Wyandotte. I guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I've been raising BLRWs for 4 years....so I do have experience with them. Yes, breeding a splash bird to a black laced will produce blue birds. Breeding splash to splash too many generations produces a very washed out splash with poor lacing. Breeding blue to blue will produce a mix of blue, black and splash birds.

The rooster in that picture does not have good coloring at all in my opinion.....he would not be a part of my breeding program at all. None of them have very good body type from what I can tell from the pictures.

I hope you get some decent chicks to hatch.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm not crazy about their Welsummers or Light Sussex either. It looks like they have all the "hot breeds", but haven't had time to breed for type.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Check out this site Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

A blue male over a blue female will result in a mixtures of 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash chicks

This is a black lace hen from the above website.
    [​IMG]

And a black laced rooster from the same site
    [​IMG]

When I got 2 BLRW hatching eggs this spring I hatched out a blue laced pullet and a black laced cockerel.​

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  9. hx28586

hx28586 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Katy,
    Do you sell any of your fertile eggs or young chicks?
    It sounds as though you have a great line of BLRW that I am looking for.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I do sell hatching eggs sometimes, but I think it's too hot to ship now. I don't ship chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by