Chicken Scratch scarcity??

Janzen

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Is anyone having trouble finding scratch? Tractor Supply in my area is no longer going to carry Purina brand scratch. They claim it doesn’t sell, so they are going to exclusively carry Producer’s Pride. Seems odd to me since Purina is not that much more expensive and is name brand. Should I be concerned there is a future shortage and stock up. I don’t listen to the conspiracy theory stuff, but if there is something coming I’m not aware of regarding Purina products, I’d like to know.

That is odd, esp since PP is their "preferred brand." But I wouldn't worry too much. They don't need scratch anyway.

But there is a reported feed shortage coming. Some places are already experiencing it.

but if there is something coming I’m not aware of regarding Purina products, I’d like to know.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Purina is owned by Nestle.. who practically owns the world.. and sell their products under many different brand names. I don't suspect shortage as the issue here.

It's not uncommon for name brand stuff to be replaced by market brand.. and so many folks are cost conscientious.. it wouldn't surprise me if folks are buying the SLIGHTLY cheaper of the two. If turnover isn't high enough.. in a specific location.. it only makes sense. One of my LFS still had stock from the previous year.. and so I quit shopping there altogether! Several years ago, Dumor wasn't offering half the products they are now. (I still buy Purina flock raiser though it''s about $0,10 more per pound)

Even if they don not carry it in store.. you may still be able to order online for pick up in store or delivery straight to your front door (free with orders over $50).. that's how I get my guinea pig food and sometimes the variety of cat or puppy kibble I desire. Sometimes their shelves are so picked over it's not worth going in.. but I can check stock availability online and do. There are 2 other TSC.. about 90 minutes either direction from me.. their standard in stock items are much different my my local TSC standard in stock items.. perhaps like Costco.. they are indeed catering more to their local clientele and demand.

I'm also in the prefer not to feed scratch camp (due to it's low protein and nutrient content being equally priced to feed here, I never buy it or use it).. bird seed is NO better being very high in fat. But as treat and enrichment of not more than 5-10% of the total daily intake of a formulated ration.. I recognize the fun it brings to us as keepers. I do also enjoy sprouting stuff (into fodder) for them.

Stocking up on anything runs the risk of spoilage of the feed stuff from it's natural oils going rancid, further diminished nutrients as they oxidize with time, or from rodents/pest, mold, etc. This being stated without knowing what storage options are available to you. Noting I usually buy my feed at least one month at a time.. in the heavier years that was 5 bags.. several of them had moldy feed right in the middle of the bag.. not caused by me or the feed store but rather at milling.. and thankfully the feed store took them back, when I discovered it.. but I would have no recourse if it wasn't found until much later. Anyways, my take.. don't stock up.. there are no guarantees, ever.. except for fear mongering of course.. that much is pretty well assured.. I mean it may even be what I'm unintentionally doing regarding spoilage, etc.. Ugh, it's hard to walk the fine line.. let my words be support and things to consider should you choose that stocking up is right for you! ;)

The Purina that makes chicken feed is owned by Land O Lakes. Purina the pet food is owned by Nestle.
Good morning. Interesting, thank you for the correction and information! :highfive:

Actually lightens my heart about using the Purina (MILLS) chicken feed. Nestle is not my favorite company to support.

For the most part.. shortage just means things will cost more. Aside from the possible storage/spoilage consideration mentioned previously.. I will also note that stocking up under the guise of savings may not be the case.. if say you still owe a mortgage, or paying interest on car loans, credit cards, etc.

I personally still do NOT expect trouble finding big brand name products, regarding the OP's Q. Though I do expect things to vary by store and region.. One of my local feed stores doesn't carry Purina poultry feeds or products at all. And I already noted the one that didn't have enough turnover so their feed was old. Before TSC opened a few years ago.. I had to resort to buying feed out of town or buying another product.

I checked out of curiosity.. The Purina scratch is NOT available in store at my location.. but is available for standard delivery and also at several other "nearby" locations.. interestingly but not surprising.. higher priced in my zip code. My final take.. changes yes , but not scarcity in reality! :caf

We get the Dumor 6 grain scratch, it has more variety and it's always in stock.

Earlier this summer our TSC seemed to be running out of everything! I went back 3 times in one week trying to get the products we prefer.
Every visit, I found myself lined up with other customers at the double doors to the back and we snagged every employee that came out to search around back there for the various livestock feeds we wanted.

One visit, with the line getting longer and louder, the manager in charge of feeds went and ripped open a custom order pallet to fill our carts, since the customer wasn't scheduled for pickup till the next day and a truck was due in.
The whole atmosphere had me picturing farmers with pitchforks.

After that, the store dramatically changed. Every time I go in there now, the shelves are gloriously stuffed with every brand and product of feed. They reduced the shelf space of the treats and feeders/waterers to give most of the feeds a double row. And everything is FRESH, under 1 week old. It's wonderful!

So, what I'm getting at here is that, for anyone struggling at their store, it might be worth heading to the back and chatting friendly-like with the feed manager. Let him know what products you use and about how many bags a week / month. It could help him when he's placing the store orders. And it's clear to me now that his decisions make or break the customer experience.

I do think the whole feed scarcity issue is a toilet paper thing. People think it might go out of stock, so they buy it up until it's out of stock. Then that empty shelf makes them more desperate to grab it when it is available. Until even the scratchiest 1-ply is a highly valued item 🙄
People see the price of eggs, so they buy more chickens.
We are very reactive creatures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom