1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken scratch vs. chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anny, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    What is the different between chicken scratch and chicken feed??

How much do you normally pay for a bag of chicken feed?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Feed is their food and scratch is a treat that should not to be given in hot weather

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Feed here is about $13 for starter/grower, $12 for layer, and $10 for scratch. Scratch is a treat.

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Quote:What size bags are those prices for???

thanks!

Also why shouldn't scratch be fed in hot weather?

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Scratch is a mix of cracked grains. In the past it was a way to use surplus or spoiled grains tha might otherwise be unusable.
    When purchased commercially, it usually consists of wheat, corn, oats, sunflower seeds, millet and various other seeds.
    It is NOT complete nutrition. It keeps them busy and feeds their need for such energy foods as found in grains. It is ground coarse, to a size preferred by chickens.

For complete nutrition you must feed an all around poultry ration, either one you make yourself or purchase commercially. The commercial feeds have wheat, corn, soya, fish or protein meal, vitamain/mineral fortifiers, binders and really do offer a complete meal.

1 person likes this.
  6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I didn't know scratch was a treat. My poor cochin.. no wonder she is no bigger than a hummingbird!

what is it called for an all around food exactly? would it be just that?

1 person likes this.
  7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:You should ask for a grower feed if the bird is not laying yet and then when she starts to lay she should have layer pellet.

8. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:What size bags are those prices for???

thanks!

Also why shouldn't scratch be fed in hot weather?

50lbs. Corn causes the chicken to heat up. Great for cold winter nights!

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I need a feed for both roosters and hens. They eat together. It is too much to try to separate everyone. I already separate the chicks from the grown ups. And I separate the Cornish X from the other 2.

I want to feed Midnight and Rusty (My hen and rooster) the same thing. Is there a pellet that they can both eat?

I have layer feed for Midnight, and occasionally I keep Rusty locked up and feed her some of that.

10. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    you can probably get away with mixing layer and meat or starter/grower.

The feed I buy has the following breakdown:

layer 16% protein
    starter/grower 20% protein
    meat 21% protein
    scratch is about 8% protein

most go to layer only for the hens because of the additional calcium, which roos have no use for, can cause kidney issues.

Definately stay away from the scratch or generic grain feeds. Fine for a treat now and then but certainly not acceptible for everyday feed. The nutional value just isn't there. Rabbit feed can also be given as a treat.

Something else I saw today was Game Bird feed; 26% protein. Woah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by