Chicken scratching

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chrin106, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Chrin106

Chrin106 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    We have a pet chick, one who was chased away by his mother. We brought him in the house and have been taking care of him until he's old enough to be with the rest of the flock. He's about half grown now.
    So here's the thing: he's scratching me. And not attacking me; I kneel down and he nudges my leg with his beak. Then he reaches out a leg and starts scratching at my pants like he would with a patch of dirt.
    It's not a big deal. It's actually kind of cute. I'm just trying to figure out why the heck he does it.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Since he's a boy this seems to be the onset of bad-boy behaviour! Id suggest you curb the behaviour by tapping his beak or gently pushing him away. Most of my chickens seem to enjoy pecking at my trousers when i crouch down and thats fine - but i would never allow a roo to do that - even a small one as it could lead to bigger problems in the future.

CT

3. Chrin106

Chrin106 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    I'll get him off of it then. Like I said, I thought it was cute (it reminded me of my cats reaching up and pawing me when they want attention) but you're right; once he gets bigger it could become a real problem.
    Thanks for the response!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are very welcome. There are threads on how to raise / treat roosters. I would make sure you read them and decide on your course of action. I made the mistake of not reading these threads and ended up killing my first rooster because he attacked me - its likely that i was the cause of his behaviour (or not seeing the warning signs and being proactive) and therefore my lack of experience and knowledge that led him to the slow cooker.

Good luck

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by