1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken See, Chicken Do!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well, I GOT MY FIRST EGG TODAY AT 1:36 AND 32 SECONDS! ITS SO CUTE. A LITTLE SMALLER THAN THE JUMBO EGGS YOU'D GET IN THE STORE. THEN AT 3:21 AND 47 SECONDS, I GOT ANOTHER!

THE TWO HENS THAT LAID TODAY, ARE FROM THE SAME MOM. THEY ARE OFFICAILLY 1 YEAR OLD ON THE 26TH. THE OTHER ONE WILL BE 1 IN MAY 12. sHE STILL HASNT LAID. THEY LAID IN DIFFERENT SPOTS. ONE OUTSIDE OF THE COOP, IN THE YARD, THE OTHER IN THE NEST BOX.
    rIGHT AFTER I PICKED UP THE EGGS, ONE OF THE CHICKENS KNOCKED OVER THE NEST BOX, AND BROKE IT. ITS A SMALL CARDBOARD BOX, THAT IS VERY THIN. i PUT ANOTHER NEST BOX, MADE OF WOOD FOR HER.

wILL SHE LAY INSIDE THE NESTBOX, OR WILL SHE RELOCATE?

WELL IS IT NORMAL, FOR THIS"CHICKEN SEE, CHICKEN DO"?

PS THE SCREAMING NORMAL TOO?

ILL PUT UP PICS LATER

T.I.A.

-SINDOORA

2. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Forgot to mention, do they lay, everyday?

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Try putting a golf ball or something similar in the nest where you want them to lay. They will hopefully get the hint that is the right place to put their eggs. They do like to lay where someone else has already laid.

They do like to announce they have laid an egg - so totally normal!

Also if they were born around the same time they will start to lay about the same time - mine all were the same hatch date and started to lay within 2-3 days of each other.

The days are getting longer now and egg production in general should be getting better, and new hens may start laying now that haven't before.

Congrats on the eggs!

Oh, and they will lay more or less every day - depending on the breed. Some lay every day, some every other day, and most will take a day or two break every few weeks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  4. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I am not THAT experienced, but I do know that once my hens lay their first egg, if they can't go back to that spot they tend to get upset. I have a silkie that's a house chicken, and if she can't get into her kennel when she's ready to lay she throws a BIG hissy fit!! So, with my chickens, if I put a different box in the same place that's where they'll continue to lay.
    And yes, the "screaming" is normal!! Sometimes they stop, sometimes they don't!! A few of mine buh gawk every time they lay, others have stopped or never did!!

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    They are Wyandotte/EE mix, and they gave white eggs. Isnt that not normal

6. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    We put some wooden eggs in our chicken's nest to get them to lay there.. they're funny, they push those eggs out of the way but cuddle the real eggs. I guess they're not as dumb as we thought [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by