Chicken seed mix

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Geordonbuck223, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Geordonbuck223

Geordonbuck223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Does anyone know of a seed mix healthy for chickens for them to Graze on in their run? If so please post name of the seed mix or a link to where it can be bought???? Thanks

2. SixHix

SixHix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed a complete feed; Flock Raiser usually, Layena pellets if everyone is old enough and laying. Then I give a mixed scratch feed and some scraps as treats, no more than 10% of their ration. They free range but in winter there's not much to find outside! Mixed seed feeds don't get eaten evenly; the birds will pick out the tastiest stuff and undereat the rest. I want good health, longevity, and good production, so complete feeds work best, IMO. Indoor birds like parrots and canaries will NOT do well on seed mixes. Mary

4. SixHix

SixHix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
    I thought you meant to plant to make pasture for them to graze on. I don't know what seeds to feed them. I grow the seeds out into a cover crop and let the birds graze on the greens occasionally in addition to their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by