1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Seems 'Depressed'

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Mocha, my 12 week old EE bantam, is quiet. When I give them treats, he is always watching from behind, waiting for the other chickens to move on. He's only loud in the mornings which is the ONLY time he crows. Even when I hold him he doesn't make a peep. He really seemed to get quiet when one day, he got himself stuck, my only option was to grab his legs. So I pulled him out. I held him for a second before putting him down. He just layer there as the other chickens all pecked him. When they free-range, he is never with the flock, at least 3 feet away from them.

He eats and drinks, and doesn't seem sick. Any ideas?

2. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    He's lower in the pecking order, maybe at the very bottom. He has to let all the other chickens eat first then it's his turn. Normal chicken behavior.

I would be careful when pulling on chickens' legs- they can break or dislocate pretty easily.

1 person likes this.
  3. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    He's lower in the pecking order, maybe at the very bottom. He has to let all the other chickens eat first then it's his turn. Normal chicken behavior.

I would be careful when pulling on chickens' legs- they can break or dislocate pretty easily.

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop

Thank you. I will make sure I do as minimal leg grabbing as possible

5. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Boost