Chicken seems egg bound and in a lot of pain

Ghenri

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Hi, my hen has had egg bound like symptoms for the past couple of days. Yesterday she stayed in the coop all day and when you try to touch her she puffs up and cries out. The weird thing is, if you pick her up and put her outside she will walk around almost like normal, she are this morning, drank last night, but she is always clucking in a way that sounds like she is in a lot of pain. She has been in the coop today for around 8 hours, same as yesterday. I took her out and she started to walk around but when I tried to pick her up she ran across the yard like a bullet with her wings out yelling in pain. Every time she rustles her feathers she cries out too. When I looked under her today she had four eggs under her and they were all hot. I'm not sure if they were all hers though because her stomach is hot so she might have just heated them up. Also she has a bunch of spots on her stomach with no feathers and the skin looks red and irritated, don't know what that is from. Please help me figure out what's wrong with her, I have no clue what to do

Sounds like a typical, cranky, annoying broody hen to me lol! My buff orp was the worst, when I'd get her off the nest she'd puff up like big, mad, basketball and walk around growling and screeching and just generally annoying all the others. When you get them out they'll walk around for just a bit, eat and drink, maybe take a giant poop and then run back to the nest. The plucked feathers on the belly is another sign of a broody hen.

Sounds like a typical, cranky, annoying broody hen to me lol! My buff orp was the worst, when I'd get her off the nest she'd puff up like big, mad, basketball and walk around growling and screeching and just generally annoying all the others. When you get them out they'll walk around for just a bit, eat and drink, maybe take a giant poop and then run back to the nest. The plucked feathers on the belly is another sign of a broody hen.

Agreed - you have a broody on your hands, OP.

Back
Top Bottom