Chicken seems imbalanced, hardly eats or drinks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riverpie, Nov 6, 2013.

1. riverpie

riverpie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    The only food my hen is getting now is what I'm holding in front of her and sometimes she doesn't even eat that. I bought crickets and mealworms which is her favorite. The other day she ate about 5 crickets. Could not get her to eat any the past 2 days. She has taken a few bites of fresh cooked corn and banana and a few drinks of water but again, I have to keep holding it in front of her so she's not getting much. She takes a few steps when I get her to stand up and then she lays down. Sometimes she somewhat stumbles. Lays down and shuts her eyes like she's sleepy. She has very runny yellowish whitish poop. Mainly watery. It's been about a week. I didn't realize for several days that she was sick and wasn't leaving the coop. I don't know what is wrong with her. I'm also not sure how much longer she will last with very little food and water. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know how old your chicken is, but I would probably get her started on some Corid (amprollium) for coccidiosis right away. The dose is 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid Corid in 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. You may need to dip her beak or syringe feed her some of the water several times a day. Some people would also tube feed it if you can do it. Was she vaccinated for Mareks vaccine? She may also have worms. While you are treating her , check her over for mites and lice. Many of these could be the cause of her behavior, but if it is cocci, she needs treatment fast, and it won't hurt her. Here is the med: http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...dwords&crkw=&gclid=CNPAmKPF07oCFU1gMgodJl4APQ

3. riverpie

Nov 6, 2010
    Thank you for the info. on the Corid. I got her to drink some water today that I put some Wazine in but I believe all she ate was a few bites of watermelon and maybe one mealworm. She pecked at some other stuff but dropped it instead of eating it. She at least drank more water than she has the past few days. I will read up on the Corid. I can't figure out how to get her beak open so she will eat.

Her background, she has no vaccinations. I didn't know hens got any. There is only a rooster and her and he is fine. She is only about 3 years old. Only layed eggs about the first year or so. She hasn't laid eggs in a year. A friend told me that she would quit laying if there wasn't another hen around so I guess that's why. She's always seemed fine. I got her for the rooster so he wouldn't be lonely. They have their routine going from home to home every day and I lock her up at night.

Thanks,
    Riverpie

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is coccidiosis, you really need to start her on meds right away. If you could find Di-Methox or Albon (sulfadimethoxine) it might even be better for her than Corid because of her yellow-white poops. She could have another infection instead of cocci, so the Di-Methox might be best. Have you checked her vent and belly for a stuck egg or symptoms of internal laying? She should be laying even without another hen around, unless she a high production hen who has finished her laying career.

5. riverpie

Nov 6, 2010
    Update: I got her some Duramycin -10 that you mix with water, Probiotics with vitamins and electrolytes. She finally started acting pretty normal today. I didn't even have to put her in her nesting box (she went in on her own) and she ate at least 10 crickets today. Before today she only ate an earthworm yesterday and some greens from the yard and nothing the day before. I don't see how she could function because she has gone so long without any or much food at all. Thank you for bringing up the antibiotics. I don't think that had really crossed my mind. I'm not sure what even worked but I did about all I could do for her. I had to hold her head down in the container so she would drink the medicine. She is getting much better as of today so I wanted to say thanks for the replies and information. It's nice to be able to have someone that tries to help you through. Thanks !

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't think that tetracycline (Duramycin10) will treat coccidiosis, but if she has something else going on instead it may. People say that it is bad tasting, and one BYCer recommends putting a little cranberry juice in it for flavor to substitute for some of the water.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You are correct, it will not treat coccidiosis.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you decide to treat with amprolium these are the amounts recommended by the mfg and the FDA.
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams).
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams).
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams).
    The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.
    FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."
    And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

This link has more info and the math done to come up with the dosing numbers:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by