Chicken seems out of it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3chickenfriends, Mar 7, 2017.

1. 3chickenfriends

3chickenfriends Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016
    Hello, recently my speckled sussex has been acting quite strange and I'm not sure if it is a minor bump in the road from something like the weather or if its something more serious going on. I first noticed she was acting odd last week, usually after letting our hens back into their coop from their pen they all go in without a problem although that day our sussex was hesitant and had to be moved into the coop by picking her up. Her comb was also noticeably paler than I had ever seen it. That worried me so she was monitored and then it passed like the next day and she was back going in and out of the coop without a problem. Eating and drinking regularly but her poop has been so weird. I looked on several websites where pictures of poop are posted and it tells you if its normal or if it looks one way what the problem is. Her poop hasn't been solid? This morning when I cleaned the coop there were two spots where poop was but I don't know if my hens switched spots before sleeping so it maybe isn't hers but she has been letting out a liquid. The liquid makes a squirting noise when it comes out of her vent and it appears colorless. The shavings are just wet with some removed liquid. I felt her crop which felt normal and her comb seemed to be a not concerning color. My sister said maybe it was the weather, my other hen hasn't been affected but she is big and strong. Maybe this could be the reason; the weather in New York has been wild where some days it gets down into the teens at night and then mid 20's to 30's in the day. Sometimes its incredibly windy and we get a few flurries and then some days its rainy and 50 (like today). Those wild temps have been going on this past week (I'm hoping its just stress on my sussex and not anything too bad). I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions on what to do for her.

Thanks,
    3chickenfriends

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet, or take a fecal sample to your vet for testing of Cocci, worms and bacterial infection?

3. 3chickenfriends

3chickenfriends Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016

Sadly there aren't any vets in my area suitable for chickens and their needs. What makes you think it would be cocci, worms, or a bacterial infection?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by