Chicken seems to have balance issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UkuleleLady, Jan 7, 2015.

1. UkuleleLady

UkuleleLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Or maybe she's in pain I'm not sure. This started the other day and is getting worse. I have examined her and I can't figure out what's wrong with her except for the fact that she seems very skinny. I only have one other chicken who is a big pig and hogs most of the food, is it possible that this chicken isn't getting enough food and is malnourished? She seems weak. She just keeps sitting all the time and even pecks and eats while sitting instead of standing like she used to do. she does walk, and seems to walk pretty normally for the most part when she's walking, but then she does these little stumbles. She is spending the night in a cat carrier in my bathroom right now because I gave her a bath earlier. She had poop all over her butt From sitting and doing something that rhymes with that so I gave her a bath and got all the poop OFF of her butt feathers and then I blow dried her and put her to bed. I took some video so that you can see how she's walking and sitting and see her feet. Please help me figure out what's wrong with her and what I should do for her. Thank you

[VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    She seems about the same today. She spent the night in a cat carrier in my bathroom and now she's hanging out in the tub. I gave her scrambled eggs and oatmeal and water but she's just picking at it. She has never had a big appetite like my other chicken does. [​IMG]
    I hope someone here has some ideas.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Sometimes vitamin deficiencies can cause problems with chickens wanting to sit down a lot, so I would start putting poultry vitamins in her water daily--make sure that they contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Mareks disease can cause unsteadiness, wobbling, sitting on hocks or elbows, which may progress to paralysis of one or both legs or wings or the neck. It can also cause wasting or failure to gain weight, and decrease immunity to common diseases. Many other problems can cause similar symptoms, so it may take some time to figure out her problem.

4. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    I wish I knew.i will have to see if I still have the email address of the woman I adopted her from and try and find out.

5. Troubadour05

Troubadour05 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    I had a chick that did this, I put vitamins in the water like Eggcessive said and she was better in a couple days. It's worth a try :)

6. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    Unfortunately I no longer have the contact information for the woman I got the chicken from so I don't know if this chicken has been vaccinated against the Mareck's. She doesn't really seem sick, it looks more to me like she hurt herself perhaps. She is really skinny, but she's always been skinny since I got her in October. I did get her vitamins and electrolytes plus which does have vitamin D3 in it. That is in the chicken water right now. I also got calcium plus liquid calcium formula which I have not yet given her because I don't know how much she weighs. I'm trying to figure out how to Weigh her.

7. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    I found a vet that treats chickens. I'm taking her in this afternoon.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she lay eggs? If not, then I wouldn't give her the calcium or D3, but it is fine if she is laying. Please let us know what the vet has to say.

9. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks. No she is not laying yet.

10. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    The vets thinks it's an injury and prescribed ibuprofen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by