Chicken seems unable to eat - fowl pox, broken beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thisperson, Aug 10, 2014.

1. thisperson

thisperson New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

I've been lurking for some time, but need some assistance. Was out of town for the weekend, and Hilda isn't looking too good upon our return (hope I attached the picture correctly). Is this fowl pox? What can I do to help her? Her beak appears to be in rough shape. It looks like she's trying to eat, but can't. I haven't done any research yet - wanted to post this in case someone can help me faster than I can help myself. I'm very worried. Thank you for any help.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Clicking on Hilda's picture gives a nice enlargement. Yes I can see the pox, those are dry pox. Sometimes a chicken of mine will have a ratty beak that turns out to be some kind of beak molt.

She might really perk up to some chicken feed made into mush with water. And some ointment on her pox. Some TLC

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may want to Google how to repair a broken beak in chickens, and look for some links, especially from The Chicken Chick.com.

5. thisperson

thisperson New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    I was able to get Hilda to eat a little bit of ground feed mixed with water. I applied ointment to her comb. The spots look like fowl pox, but her comb is also torn at the top. Her beak appears to be broken and is the more concerning issue at this point. I'm not sure how this all happened. She was/is in a secure coop. Perhaps our other chicken started pecking at the pox and they got into a fight. Thank you to those who responded. If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know. I'm going to do some research on repairing broken beaks.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Her beak is broken? Cracked? Is it loose?

8. thisperson

thisperson New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Last night, I was able to patch Hilda's beak by following the Chicken Chick's instructions. We've been giving her water using a syringe, and she still seems to be having difficulty eating. But I mowed the lawn and she was eating grass clippings. Hopefully she'll continue to improve. Thanks for the help.

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Maybe elevating her feeder/waterer setup might make it easier for her to get the food in her mouth (??)

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Gorilla glue is a wonderful thing.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by