Chicken seriously injured, found in roosting room

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenman111, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chickenman111

chickenman111 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got up this morning to find 1 of my hens laying on the floor of the roosting room. She can't walk, I looked at her and she's missing feathers on the right side of her head, a little on her back, and her neck moves from side to side. I'm trying to help her out but its not looking hopeful. I decided to investigate the roosting room, I found a hole, and some rodent droppings. None of my other chickens are hurt. I have been dealing with a weasel but I believe the weasel is dead by now and this doesn't seem to be the same method of kill.
    If anyone has any ideas on what this could be I would really appreciate it. One more thing, would hens kill each other and how would you tell if that was the case.

2. chickenman111

The hen just died, I found a bite on the back of her head, and bite marks on her throat. I saw what looked like a smaller weasel in the woods a little while ago, and I found some sort of den near my coop, it has a lot of holes in it and sticks drug over part of it. Please if anyone has any advice please help.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So very sorry to hear of your loss... I have had rats use an identical method of killing seven young ducklings..the mother duck was with them but she did not manage to defend them....I now use a rat proof housing for them overnight when there are young ones.

One of my Silkies was bitten by a rat when she was on a nesting box full of eggs she was attempting to hatch..she survived thankfully.

4. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    So sorry to hear this. The only advice I could give is to make your coop and run as predator-poof as possible.

Not sure what your set-up is, we built our coop about 3 feet off the ground and enclosed it and the run completely with heavy gauge wire fencing buried in the ground and completely covered on top. I feel ours are safe when they are in their run or coop, but we do let them free-range during the day and lost a cockerel to a bobcat not to long ago.

5. chickenman111

first I would like to thank you. I will try to make it more predator proof, thanks both of you.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why do you 'think' the weasel is dead?

1/2" hardware cloth is the only thing that will deter a weasel.

Might think about an apron too.

[​IMG]

7. chickenman111

I think the weasel is dead, I hit him with a shot from a 4 10 shotgun, he ran off though and I couldn't find him to finish him.

8. sandovaljose214

sandovaljose214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2013
    poor chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by