Chicken setting, AND still laying, Whats up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newduckie, Nov 10, 2009.

1. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have a small banty chicken and she has been laying for a while. I started getting the eggs for the frig and the last four I got for the incubator. She decided set on the fake eggs about 4 days ago. today I checked under her and she has two real eggs. I thought once they started setting they quit laying. Am I wrong? Won't the eggs hatch on different days? Anxious to see if she lays another tomorrow.

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Are you sure it is the broody banty that is laying the eggs and not another one of your hens that decided to lay in the same nest? Just something to think about! [​IMG] Genie

3. newduckie

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I thought about that but she is the only hen that made it thru the big dog attack. I am down to about 5 roosters and this one hen. so she is the only one that could be laying... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM? weird

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    could be she is not broody, just hiding from all those roosters. Take out all but one and see if she gets up and acts normal. Heck, take them ALL out for a few days.

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Okay.......I don't know if she is hidding or broody, but you will probably know soon. Now about the others....sometimes there is a hen with masculine features and I even had one crazy silver-spangled hamburg once that I knew for a fact had just layed a fresh, warm egg, walked a couple of yards and let out a crow. I told her she was crazy. I don't know what to tell you, but can you make certain that no other chickens are getting in the nest with her? If you seclude her as our last friend said, and eggs still appear, then it has to be hers. Then, I would say she is not really broody, but may be threatning to become. I would take the wooden ones away and give her the real things. If she continues setting and stops laying, I would give her all of hers, that you have and possibly obtain a few more from an outside sourch. One hen is not enough.....esp if you have 5 roos, of which I would eat 4.

6. newduckie

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I plan on buying more hens, but haven't found any yet. Planning on going to an auction the first of Dec. I have some of her eggs in the incubator and some duck eggs in there also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by