1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken sex leads to eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BairleaFarm, Jul 1, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    First off i googled chicken sex to see what it looks like - great vid.

Seems the last day or so my rooster are attempting to mate. Meat chickens, bantams, tetra tents - they dont care. (insert stupid questions now) does this mean my ladies could be getting ready to lay? They are all still young. Half the flock were hatched middle of april. The rest are younger. or are my roosters just being guys?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:could be either or both, what color are the combs and waddles? Are they squatting for the boys or running away?

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Some are fighting it some kinda just sit there. Heres a vid . I just noticed they are doing it at the 6 minute mark. Plus you can tell colors and size of the birds.

4. FireTigeris

Well the rooster is defiantly a rooster, those curvy feathers are saddle feathers (wheat color on the back) and the hackle feathers (wheat color on the neck).

he's not very good at breeding yet...

they look very close to laying for you (except the rooster. [​IMG] )

5. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    They look like theyre getting ready to lay. When the rooster tries to mate with them, they should be doing an egg squat where they squat down, but there wings up, and shake a little bit.

Sorry for the randon question... but, FireTigeris, is that manager award from the coloring book contest? I didnt recieve mine yet... [​IMG]

6. FireTigeris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by