CHICKEN SEX old I'm sure but new at the game!LOL

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buckinnuts, May 18, 2008.

1. buckinnuts

buckinnuts Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    york Pa
    wives tail longer tail feathers hens? 4 weeks old
    if the case I got 2 hens out of 4 st run
    small spurs showing on leg or does all have the bumps?
    can't get into squeezing vent
    showing aggression towards each other same 4 always fighting for dominance or space?
    I will post pics shortly being new to this
    Besides I am watching hockey as I type.LOL!

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hee hee... You even typed your question in brief, play-by-play style! You must have really been into the game (who are you for, the Pens or the Flyers? I'm a Wings fan myself...).

It would really be helpful if you could re-type your question into a sentence... I'm sure there are plenty of helpful people around here that can offer you some advice!

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yes, hens do feather out faster than roos. Oh, and they all have those bumps and they ALL fight. [​IMG]

*sigh* my nightly phone call with my husband will be short tonight (thanks for reminding me). He records the game and watches it after work. I call Hockey his mistress......the Flyers MUST win or he will pout. But, a man must have priorities I suppose!!!! LOL

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Unless a miracle happened, the Flyers are packing their golf bags and getting ready for summer. The Pens were leading 2-0 in the second period when I caught a glimpse of the game.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Welcome buck...I'm just north of Lancaster here.
    Generally the tail feathers of the pullets do come in faster and are longer, when the chicks are young. After about 10 weeks the roos tails start getting much longer very quickly.
    All chicks generally have spur bumps, so that won't really be much help for sexing.
    Both males & females in a group will vie for 'pecking order' and thus can chest bump and spar for dominance
    In my experience the roos are more gregarious, however some pullets may be also. If space is a premium you will probably see more overall combativeness between the chicks.
    Comb size and color are the best markers, unless you have sex-linked chicks which can generally be sexed by color.
    What breeds do you have?

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:LOL...oh dear....this means I have to zone out during his pout. [​IMG] Sorry for the threadjack. [​IMG]

7. buckinnuts

buckinnuts Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    york Pa
    DIE HARD PITTSBURGH FAN NO MATTER WHAT SPORT
    GO GUINS!
    Wings looked tough in the beginning but Stars are coming on strong

thanks for the info on the peeps
    I was told I had 2 cornish rock and 4 bantam asst. 2 look like the barred rock
    the other are brown I will get picks up soon
    I do have 3 buffs and 3 red star on the way

8. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    2 cornish rock broilers? Are you going to eat them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by