chicken "SEX"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bassim Ahmed, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Bassim Ahmed

Bassim Ahmed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    How long does chickens mate? Does it take like 10 minutes ? coz i want to make sure that i am incubating fertile eggs,and i have never seen them mating.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Less than 10 seconds so you may never see it unless you immediately spin around when you hear a squawk.

Open some eggs and compare the blastoderm/blastodisc. A solid spot is infertile, a halo is fertile.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bassim Ahmed

Oct 13, 2014
    Do they get turned on ,and finish so quickly? does the hen get satisfied or not ,does it have anything to do with stressed chickens??

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It isn't sex like you're thinking. It is procreation. The rooster is always turned on and mates many times a day. He mounts, encourages the hen to turn her tail up and exposed the cloaca while he places his cloaca against hers, spurt and it's over. There's no penetration. She gets up, ruffles and shakes her feathers and off to forage like a good chicken.

As to what she thinks about it, I can't say.
    All I can say is that's the way they've been doing it for millions of years. So, whatever works. Chickens, after all, are about the most populous vertebrates on the planet.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    If you keep a rooster or roosters with your hens all the time (at least one rooster per dozen hens) you can assume the eggs are fertile. That is what roosters do. (Exceptions being "roosters" that aren't mature and roosters that are really, really old).

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Or too fat.

7. Bassim Ahmed

Oct 13, 2014
    thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by