Chicken shoe for bent toe.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naillikwj82, Nov 3, 2011.

1. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    This afternoon we used olive oil to remove a chicken shoe from an 8 day chick. This was place on day 4 due to a curled toe. The chick was not using the foot. Hence not thriving. Isolated with two other chicks and it helped with mobility. I am taking a wait and see until tomorrow before fitting another shoe. Should we be more pro-active and do another shoe tonight?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Wishing you luck. I would put vitamin drops in the water with electrolytes. Keep the heat going. They are strong and either spring back or fair quick.

[​IMG] to BYC!!

3. naillikwj82

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Thanks SteveBaz. Will dissolved B2 riboflavin do?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You're doing everything right, and your chick has a good chance at normal feet since you've been so on-top of it. I would wait to see if the toe has straightened from the first boot. If it is still off, definitely slap another one on there.

This time though, the chick will be too old for a delicate boot (you can get away with bandaids and pipecleaners on new chicks, but not after the first week). I'd switch to something more heavy duty like a plastic base (ie cutting an oval out of a plastic plate), and electric tape. By their second week, chicks are old enough to play wrecking crew with more delicate materials. [​IMG]

5. naillikwj82

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    The boot has been off for 24 hours and the toe is still straight. The chick still favors the good foot. Eating and drinking is okay. If his activity level picks up fine, and if not maybe he won't be caponed, but kept as a small rooster.
    Thanks for your help. jeff

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    OK wish you good thoughts [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by