Chicken showed up and has made us his new family???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rickandjen, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Rickandjen

Rickandjen New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    Back around Thanksgiving, a chicken showed up in the alley and followed my husband up to the house. He called me at work and said you are not going to believe who is visiting us.....needless to say I did not get home until Midnight and thought my husband was messing with me until he took me outside and pointed high in the tree. I was floored, I had no idea chickens could fly so high into a tree. We live in a small ohio village and chickens are not aloud in city limits so I was not sure where the chicken came from. The weather was still fall like and the chicken...now named Stanley per my husband was pecking around through the leaves by day and roosting in the tree by night. After a few day's I finally started feeding and watering since it seemed he was not going anywhere ( I know I continue to call a he, even though I have no clue). Started out feeding bread and apples, after about ten days I broke down, went to the local feed store and bought a 50lb bag of feed. It has now been two months that Stanley has been with us, while I was not sure what to do for him this last month with the temps reaching -30+ with wind chill. I gave him an old igloo dog house we had, positioned out of the wind but at night he insisted on being up in the tree....not sure how he has survived but every morning I go out and feed/water and talk to him and he comes running to great me. To make a long story short, I have no idea what kind of chicken it is, male/female and since I am not supposed to have a chickens in town, I can not build a coop....what is the best way to care for Stanley? Should I try to find a better home for him....I must say I want what is best but i have become attached to him. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!. Chicken is all white with red top and gobbler?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    HI there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

You might place an ad in your local craigslist or even here on BYC in the Buy Sell and Trade section here of BYC in hopes of getting him into a new home. It would be in his best interest if he had a coop to sleep in and a harem of hens to spend his days with. But how nice of you to be taking care of him! Very sweet.

Oh, and here is the link to our trade section...(you will need 20 posts to place an ad here, so you can welcome in some new members to get your post count up...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

How great that you joined BYC looking for info on how to take care of this bird! [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock at BYC [​IMG]

If you chicken is your Avatar then she look's more like a hen and a very healthy one at that [​IMG]

If it is a hen then I would build a small coop for her and she probably wont make much noise and yow could build a small nesting box for her to lay her egg's for you but put a fake egg in there for her to get the idea where to put them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a portion of my small flock [​IMG]

The read thing on top of the chicken's head is a comb
    and the bottom ones are called waddles [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't advertise on Craig's list, most likely someone would take him/her for dinner. How nice of you to get feed(big bag) . If it hasn't crowed it probably is a female. Could you lock her up somewhere (like garage or something) so she doesn't spend the night in a tree. It's not safe from predators.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on posting in your state's thread to find her a new home good luck to you.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might also ask at the feed store or post on their bulletin board, 4-H office etc, good luck finding her a new home.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Its unfortunate that you aren't allowed to have chickens, they are wonderful birds! It probably would be best if you tried to find Stanley a new home.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The chicken in your avatar is a hen - perhaps a leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by