Chicken Shower?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lunachick, May 17, 2007.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I suppose chickens kind of know what to do, in certain situations. But was this OK? Yesterday we finally got a good rain storm. The first blast of thunder and they went inside the coop. Then the heavy rain started, and they went back out and stood in the pouring rain for about an hour. I kept watching them and they seemed fine. Doing a little preening and stuff. Then it was bedtime, around 7:30 ish and I had to scoot them in. This morning they are nice and clean looking. I gues they just needed a shower! Anybody elses chickens do this? I'm new at this, just want to be sure about this.

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Whoa, I just read soccerguy's story about his rooster, I guess chickens do like to get wet!

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Everytime it rains our chickens go out. It is funny to see our roosters with their beautiful tails all soggy and dragging on the ground. There are more worms and stuff like that out, too,when it rains.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk will stand out there and get soaked. Slifer had more brains; she'd go sit on the chair and watch TV.

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I keep an eye on mine. Just in case they look up to see who's tapping them on the head and drown.

mental giants they are.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by