Chicken Sick ----- Advise PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marcf, Dec 14, 2013.

1. marcf

marcf New Egg

Dec 14, 2013
    Hi All,

Thank you for reading this post.

About 3 days ago my chickens got attacked by a Brush Turkey.

I believe its attempted to mate (rape) them.

One of the chickens has been hurt quite badly and really need some advise on what to do..

It's got a white and bloody discharge from its egg hole. The smell is strong and disgusting.

Picture below...sorry if this makes you a little sick!

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
    Marc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My goodness that looks pretty bad. I would get some povidone iodine or epsom salts and soak her bottom in a warm mixture for 20 minutes to clean her bottom up. Dish soap or shampoo will work in a pinch. Then dry her thoroughly ,and inspect her well. Aplly Neosporin or other brand of antibiotic ointment. Keep her in a cage with food and water so that you can watch her. If she lays an egg or poops, she could possibly have a prolapsed vent, so watch for anything getting stuck on the outside. You will need to keep her clean and apply the ointment for a few days. Give her some high protein snacks in a addition to her feed, such as eggs, tuna, or dry cat food. Good luck.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree with Egg. I like the Epsom salts idea. Might it be the discharge that caused all that irritation? You might want to think about antibiotics as well.

4. marcf

marcf New Egg

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks all.

I've given her a bath and cleaned her up.

She not a happy camper, just stands still crouched up.

She straightaway starts to leak a milky substance, and the smell is unbelievable.

I gave her some eggs, normally they would be eaten in a second but she has only nibbled on them for the past 6 hours.

I've noticed she has not pooped really at all, her box is very clean.

Poor girl, feel very sorry for her! :(

Cheers
    Marc

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It is possible she has vent gleet. Here is a link explaining vent gleet,see if this is what you are seeing. There are several treatments for this condition.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since her vent looks very infected, I would probably continue soaking her bottom at least once a day in betadine or soap and warm water. Can you get an antibiotic for her? If she continues to go down hill, I might consider putting her out of her misery, poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by