Chicken sick and limping post bumblefoot?

Darkladybritt

Hatching
Aug 9, 2020
My year old Asian Black chicken had bumblefoot on both feet, especially on the left, and was limping. We brought her inside and kept her in a smaller cage alone where she could rest and heal while we treated the bumblefoot. While she was in the cage being treated, she started pooping blood (light red, not dark red) so we started her on corrid immediately. Her bumblefoot is now pretty much healed, but she’s still limping and refusing to put weight on the left leg, and when she walks she ends up stepping on her own feet and almost having trouble pulling her feet out. Her poops are still bloody but it’s been mixed with normal poops. What can we do to help her feel better?

Sorry about your hen. :hugs How long have you had her on Corid, and what was the dosage?
Is there still scabs on het feet from the bumble foot? Pictures might help.
Soaking her feet in epsom salt, then applying plain Neosporin or Antibiotic ointment, and bandaging may help.

Sorry about your hen. :hugs How long have you had her on Corid, and what was the dosage?
Is there still scabs on het feet from the bumble foot? Pictures might help.
Soaking her feet in epsom salt, then applying plain Neosporin or Antibiotic ointment, and bandaging may help.

She’s been on corrid for a little over a week and a half now, we think. The scabs have healed- there were three total. One on her right foot pad (caught early, healed within three or four days), one on her left foot pad (that we thought was the problem and made her limp, healed in a week) and one on her toe that we didn’t initially think was bumblefoot, but we treated and is now healed and pink. We treated her with an epsom soak, peroxide, an iodine soak, and then bandaged with gauze/iodine/neosporin. When I held her like a baby and with her feet out so we could open the wounds up, I noticed she didn’t curl her left leg/foot like her right leg did, but again we figured it was because it hurt with the scabs. But since the bumblefoot is better, she’s still limping and refusing to put weight on the left leg. She’s flapping her wings with no problem. We’re trying so hard to make sure she’s living a happy chicken life, but now we’re not sure what to do next.

She’s been on corrid for a little over a week and a half now, we think. The scabs have healed- there were three total. One on her right foot pad (caught early, healed within three or four days), one on her left foot pad (that we thought was the problem and made her limp, healed in a week) and one on her toe that we didn’t initially think was bumblefoot, but we treated and is now healed and pink. We treated her with an epsom soak, peroxide, an iodine soak, and then bandaged with gauze/iodine/neosporin. When I held her like a baby and with her feet out so we could open the wounds up, I noticed she didn’t curl her left leg/foot like her right leg did, but again we figured it was because it hurt with the scabs. But since the bumblefoot is better, she’s still limping and refusing to put weight on the left leg. She’s flapping her wings with no problem. We’re trying so hard to make sure she’s living a happy chicken life, but now we’re not sure what to do next.
Odd that you're still being bloody droppings. Could you post a picture of her droppings? What dosage were you giving?
Have you stopped treating the bumble foot? I wouldn't use the peroxide regularly, as I believe it kills both dead and heathy tissue. Do you see any injuries on her left leg? Does she put any weight on it? A video of her walking would help. I would continue soaking her foot in epsom salt.
You're doing a great job! I'm sure we'll resolve this.

Back
Top Bottom