Chicken sick, can it die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kennethchicken, Sep 17, 2016.

1. kennethchicken

kennethchicken New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I have a Jersey Giant rooster who escapes from our coop almost everyday. he disappears and we are unable to find him, but always returns to the coop to be put back inside. But, yesterday, my dad found him in a bush, sitting down. When he tried to pick him up or scare him out back to the coop, the rooster just sat there and croaked. It's been over a day and he's still in there and won't come out. Is it possible that he's sick and dying? or just taking a rest?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sounds to me like he is injured. Better gather him up and give him an exam. Good luck!

3. puIIets

puIIets Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    I doubt he's taking a rest if he's been there for a day. Take him out of the bush and put in a pen by himself, and give him food and water. Make sure he's comfortable. Look for symptoms - has he done something to his leg? Is he injured? Does his breath smell? Is he congested? What's his poop like? Telling us this and showing us pictures will help a lot with diagnosing him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by